Sunday, August 20, 2017

Narcissus alcaracensis.


Narcissus alcaracensis. 


Seed from Archibald 0693651 germinated 2008 flowered this year for the first time, there is no hurry it just took it's time. It may also be that I don't have it planted in a more moist position, we have had rain during our summer and it may have enjoyed that. You don't know if these Narcissus flower every year in their native habitat either or do they just flower when conditions suit it best. Since it comes from swampy areas and damp meadows in Spain. It is listed with a code red, so it is rare and endangered in its native habitat and is currently being researched and will appear in the Narcissus "Arkive" shortly.(arkive.org) I have hand pollinated the flower, but I'm not sure if it will set seed as we had heavy hail on it Thursday.





Narcissus varduliensis Archibald seed coll. no. 0707.600.  2008 The name of this Narcissus is "under discussion by various authorities. 
Raffa from the SRGforum says "This species is not valid for most people, but I have seen Narcissus pseudonarcissus subsp nobilis and N. varduliensis and although they are very close N. varduliensis is more concolor. It is like a cross between N. pallidiflorus and N. nobilis." we will wait on the new name. But they will probably change it back again, it makes your brain hurt. I have N. nobilis now from seed, so I will wait and see what the flower is like.


Narcissus bulbacodium ssp obesus Marcus Harvey, this has the best little round obese flowers of all the forms I have grown from seed.


Narcissus bulbacodium sub sp obesus Brian Duncan seed Ireland

 

Hyacinthella dalmatica from Otto, this little bulb has done well so that some can be planted in the garden next year.


Scilla libanotica Archibald seed coll No 0874 369, I have enough bulbs now to plant some in the garden, so when they are dormant I will do that.


Tecophilaea cyanocrocus var. Violacea. I do grow my Tecophilaea bulbs in the garden on the edge of a stone wall so they get perfect drainage, but they get so damaged by rain, that it is nice to have a pan full in the glass house, as you can see it has a spider living amongst its leaves but no aphis, she has seen to that. I do hope I have the name correct as there was quite a lot of discussion on the SRG forum last year, and I can't remember the out come, but this is the name that I purchased it with in 1999. 


Helleborus vesicarius Archibald coll. seed 563.000 8/ 2004 you need so much patience when you grow plants from seed. This Helleborus has taken 13 years to flower from seed. Admittedly, I did dig it up and move it to this garden, but I didn't think it would take this long to flower. Now to wait for the exceptional fruit (seed pods). As you can see I have sprinkled some granular fertiliser around. I wondered if this garden is short on Potash, so I have fed the whole garden, and I will feed with some chicken manure pellets in the next few weeks, as a lot of the plants have started to grow.


Jeffersonia dubia  AGS seed 1997 flowered in 1999 not easy to get to germinate, even when you collect the seed from the plant and sow it immediately it will not germinate. I think you need to pick the seed put in vermiculite in the fridge for a length of time, until end of winter then plant it. I will try that this year.  Jeffersonia diphylla is much easier to grow from seed than the J. dubia and is easier to grow in the garden with beautiful leaves, the flowers are very short lived though.


No comments: