Saturday, November 19, 2022

x Brigandra caliantha 'Salisbury'

 x Brigandra caliantha 'Salisbury'

Briggsia aurantiaca x Opithandra primuloides.

An artificial cross originally made by Dr. Schwarz a friend of Ottos whom I imagine sent the plant to him, or leaf cuttings which is how it is propagated. My plant came from the Gordons who probably received it from Otto.

This plant was growing in the garden and the white cockatoos chewed it off at the ground, I found it a few days later. I hurriedly replanted it in a pot thinking that was the end of that, but it has grown and is very happy in the glass house. I will need to do some leaf cuttings my self as I don't know if Otto still has this plant anymore. I could put a plant in the crevice garden which should do alright as it grows outside on its side quite well, when the cockatoos leave it alone.

There have been a few new hybrids made including Tinney's Tawney with sprays of up to 20 salmon-pink flowers. But I don't think these are in Australia.



Our next meeting is some of the grant recipients speaking about their research on Australian plants and environments. Meeting will also be on zoom, link available from Fermi. Starting at 8.00pm on the 26th November at the Olinda Community House next to the Olinda swimming pool, Olinda -Monbulk Road, Olinda. Why not join us for our meeting and a cup of tea or coffee and supper afterwards.



No comments: