Tuesday, July 30, 2019

GALANTHUS.


Galanthus.

I always long for the winter albeit anxiously because that is when my favourite bulbs come up and flower, I always worry will they all come up this year, I don't worry so much about them flowering, but growing is mighty important to me and if they multiply is even better. The largest problem for a Galanthophile is getting hold of snowdrops in Australia, they are rarely for sale since Macus left us. No body can afford to import them, its not the buying of the bulbs, its the quarantine expenses. So you are left begging and scrounging around trying to find someone who might have some for sale, or will give you some of theirs. On moving house I lost a lot of my Galanthus, to my horror they didn't like moving to this garden at all, and did not even come up. I thought I am just a bad gardener, did I leave them in the pots too long, what did I do wrong they grew and flourished in my other garden. A dear friend came to my rescue and gave me all the ones I had lost, and some new ones, Lucky.
When I was working at MIFGS flower show one year, a rep came up and started talking about plants, what else, he said he was from Queensland he and his wife loved Daffodils so they brought some from Victoria and they all grew and flowered. I thought that was unusual as it is so hot and humid in Queensland. He said he worked for a company quarying and selling Rock minerals and he fed their garden every year with the Rock minerals. the plants loved it. So I bought a bag he said to use it on my Galanthus so I diligently spread it all around my Galanthus and they haven't ever looked so good. There is an article in The Alpine Gardener Volume 86 No. 4 December 2018, on the same problem as I had, apparently it has happened to several Galanthophil's.  


Galanthus Barbaras Double


Galanthus Blewbury Tart


Galanthus Cecily Hall


Galanthus byzantinus  ex Don Schoefield


Galanthus ikariae used to be available every where but now seems to be quite sparse in cultivation and rarely offered for sale. I find it likes Australian conditions with a sprinkle of water in the summer months every now and then. 


Galanthus Lavinia a vigorous double.


Galanthus Little Bitton from Clover Hill Rare Plants a lovely little Galanthus that stands upright.


Galanthus Magnet always slow to multiply, for me, but as it waves in the gentle breeze you can't help but love it.


Galanthus Pat Schoefield bred by Norm Collins looking for all the world like Galanthus Wasp.


Galanthus nivalis Octopussy purchased as, but it looks like Galanthus nivalis Scharlockii to my untrained eye.


Galanthus Richard Ayres
(Above and below) What a wonderful double hybrid the top photo shows it with an extra little petal that is covering up its markings, below is the normal flower.



Galanthus S. Arnott always looks stunning and as it increases looks even better. From Plant Collectors, Tasmania.


Galanthus nivalis Sandersii, poor little Galanthus was almost lost as the White Cockatoo Birds took the top off and I managed to save it, that was 3 years ago and it is just coming good now, still only one bulb. You would not say it was vigorous. From Marcus Harvey.


Galanthus from ex. Fanny. Winton seed, which reminds me Sally Ward from Winton Seed has a new list out. Listing seed from yellow Galanthus and others, you send her a request by email and she will send you her seed list sally.ward246@btinternet.com  


Galanthus Spindle Stone Surprise photo by Jon such a robust form, I wish all Galanthus were as robust.



Galanthus Trym absolute favourite


Galanthus Wendy's Gold



Galanthus Corrine from R Wallis Seed grown by Otto, another favourite they are so distinct, wearing their upside down hearts on their sleeve (on the petals).


Galanthus Erics Choice from Col and Darien in Canberra, he says it hasn't multiplied this year and that may be because he sent me a bulb, which is doing very nicely, Thank You Col.

Don't forget we have Oron Peri speaking to us on the 24th August two talks on Bulbs of the Mediterranean, and Alpine plants and bulbs of Chile. Oron is well travelled and leads many tours for the Alpine Garden Society UK. He also runs Seeds Of Peace sending seeds world wide including Australia. We will be having a Plant Stall selling some Galanthus especially Galanthus Spindle Stone Surprise and Galanthus rizehensis from Turkey and other plants so book a ticket and come along and enjoy afternoon tea with us and a pleasant afternoon listening and learning from Oron.
Scroll down email address is below on flyer.

2 comments:

Michael Barrett said...

When is the best time to spread the rock minerals pls Viv ?

Alpine Garden Society Victorian Group said...

When you lift and divide your clump of Galanthus in the green, spread the rock minerals around your Galanthus before a rain is best or when watering in the freshly moved Galanthus, so that the rain or water will wash the minerals down to the roots. Apparently the rock minerals help to harness microbes in the soil and attach them to the roots of the Galanthus and helps the Galanthus to settle into their new position in the garden. I've also found it makes older clumps of Galanthus stronger.