Monday, October 17, 2016

EPIMEDIUM.

EPIMEDIUM.

Barrenworts, Bishop's Caps and Fairy wings are all common names of the genus Epimedium I got my first Epimedium from my mother in law, she explained it would grow very nicely in a shady spot under a Rhododendrons, so I duly planted it and it grew beautifully and I found you could easily lift and divide and spread around the garden, as long as you watered in the dry months your new plants and the old piece, you just need a good sharp spade. My next encounter with Epimediums was The Genus Epimedium book by William T Stearn and that was full of new Epimediums that we did not have in Australia. I was speaking to Jill W  of Possum Creek Perennials at one of our AGSVG meetings and she had printed out a catalogue of Darrell R. Probst in the U.S. and Jill said I am going to import some Epimedium's from this Nursery do you think you would be interested? do you think some of our members would also be interested? and of course they were Jill's first list in 2004 with colour photo's was very impressive. I still have that catalogue and her next one in 2005, 2007.  Now of course we have other Nurseries importing Epimediums David Kennedy, Lynn Mc Gough. Antique Perennials. Stephen Ryan and Gentiana all have a good range. They are easy to grow as long as they do not get scorched by the summer sun, they are shade lovers and need to be watered in the drier months. 
I do apologise for not putting any posts up for a while as we were without electricity for 6 days apparently 2,000 trees came down according to the papers.


Epimedium Asiatic hybrid from Antique Perennials, a small flowering type with mottled leaves.


Epimedium Court Jester from David Kennedy.


Epimedium davidii from Otto I have struggled with this one in the past, you need to give it a very cool moist position. I have had several plants over the years that I have lost and at long last I have got it established.


Epimedium Domino from Lynn Mc Gough.


Epimedium grandiflorum alba.


Epimedium Lilac Cascade one of my favourites with beautifully marked leaves and the most unusual coloured flowers.


Epimedium omiense hybrid from Stephen Ryan Dicksonia Nursery.


Epimedium x youngianum  Kojo


Epimedium x youngianum Kozakura a spurless flower.


Epimedium x youngianum Murasaki juji.


Epimedium species Spine Tingler named by David Kennedy.


Epimedium  grandiflorum from Japan.


 Epimedium "Dark seedling" from Barbara and Philip Gordon, not the flower but the leaves come through very dark and lighten as they age.


Epimedium Carnival from David Kennedy.


Epimedium fargesii hybrid David Kennedys own hybrid.


Epimedium Holly leaf it comes through with almost red purple leaves and is very prickly. From Lynn Mc Gough.


Epimedium Sky Diver 


Epimedium x youngianum Tamabotan Jill W. a small dainty flower one that I cherish.


No comments: