Sunday, April 22, 2018

Cyclamen rohlfsianum.


 Cyclamen rohlfsianum.



In 2011 I received Cyclamen rohlfsianum seed from the AGS seed exchange.  I have now built up a good collection of Cyclamen in this way and they seem to do well in hot dry Mt Waverley.  I keep the more special ones in pots such as this rohlfsianum.  I didn’t pre-treat the seeds with moisture, just planted them about 1cm deep in a tube with a topping of grit. Only one seed germinated and I have carefully nurtured it over the years following Lydia’s instructions to the letter - ie keeping it bone dry under cover in my shade house over summer.  In February I bring it out of the shade house and if there is still room to grow in the pot, I scrape away as much of last year’s soil as I can without taking the tuber out and replenish it with new potting mix with added compost and fertilizer.  I then plunge it in water in a large tub, thoroughly soaking it, then leave it for at least a week before watering again, it is then placed in a very hot position to be baked by the February sun. I keep my fingers crossed as I wait for signs of growth or signs of rot.  This year I think I should have started the process a couple of weeks earlier as I might have had flowers on the plant.  But the leaves are stunning and I am happy to forgo the flowers to have such a beautiful plant.  It takes pride of place on our back patio where I can enjoy it every day.
Helen B

No comments: