Friday, April 13, 2018

Autumn Flowering Bulbs.


                                      Autumn flowering bulbs.



Colchicum cupanii growing very well in Otto's garden, but another of our members Jon also does extremely well with this dear little Colchicum.



Crocus biflorus ssp melantherus collected Greece by the late Marcus Harvey seed 10/2010, I am  disappointed my form does not have the blackish-purple anthers, so I will need to keep raising more seed.



Crocus caspius from  A. Edwards, Otto's form I have seen several Instagramers showing it on their pages, all have come from Otto. It is native of the Caspian region as its name suggests, also from N. Iran and adjacent USSR.


 Crocus goulimyi albus Glenbrook bulbs 1997. I have had this Crocus for years but I am so embarrassed by how it went backwards in pots coming from my other garden, as I had a lovely large patch, there but it is on the mend now and slowly increasing again.


Crocus goulimyi Otto's garden, this is such an easy Autumn flowering Crocus in Australia and it is readily available. Susan, Marcus's partner sent over a ton of seed, I hope yours has germinated as mine has and we all should have lovely clumps of this Crocus in years to come. Grows best in the garden in a warm sunny position.


Crocus hadriaticus Otto's from the late Marcus Harvey, from Greece in rocky slopes, turf or in scrub up to 1,500m. plant in a warm sunny position.



Crocus kotchyanus above and below Otto's garden an easily cultivated Crocus and looked it, as these self sown seedlings were coming up in the path.



Crocus laevigatus from Martyn Rix collection no 551 Otto's just coming out into flower.


Crocus nudiflorus always disappointing on film as you do not see how dark the flowers are, a stoloniferous Crocus from the corms and will put up new plants when it is happy.



Crocus pulchellus Michael Hoog from Marcus Harvey in Otto's garden a paler form than the ordinary C.pulchellus.



Crocus serotinus salzmannii dark P.C. 23/10/1982 a very easy Crocus multiplying well Otto's garden.



Crocus tournefortii from Jamus one of our members in Adelaide 2018, flowering in Otto's garden.


Galanthus peshmenii from R. Wallis above and below showing its beautifully shaped Autumn flowers in Otto's garden. Only described in 1994 but has been grown in collections for much longer. These plants were from seed collected by Ranveig and Bob Wallis near Kemerin, Antalya province, Turkey.  I am ashamed to say all of my Autumn flowering Galanthus are not even above the ground yet, I hope I have not lost them, I struggle as to where to plant them in the garden.




Galanthus reginae-olgae M61 a delicate Galanthus in Otto's garden. From the Peloponnese, Yugoslavia, Greece. Corfu and Sicily so quite wide spread in its native habitat and should be more readily available in Australia but it is not.


Gladiolus brevifolius in Otto's garden from Rex, a very delicate looking Gladiolus exquisitely coloured flower. Rex certainly grows some very good plants, some are very rare.


I was very excited to see Narcissus viridiflorus in flower at Otto's today. I didn't see the green flowers in the beginning, I went up to take some more shots of Crocus flowers, you could have knocked me over with a feather, so many flowers. They are just the most gorgeous Narcissus, found growing in wet sticky loam in the coastal belt of extreme southern Spain and northern Morocco, they are frost tender. Well we don't get frosts up here and Otto's Narcissus are not growing in mud. Just growing in a good garden loam.


Nerine humilis in Otto's garden from Tonkin bulbs in Kalorama address in the Nursery list in Links. The Nerine's have been very good this year I think they have enjoyed our hot dry conditions.


The very delicate bulb with an awful name Scilla haemorrhoidalis ex Tenerife, seed from 2014 Oron Peri in Israel. You can see why it has the name if you look at the flower buds, approximately 10cm high. I'm still growing this little bulb in my glass house and I have not dried it out over summer, second year to flower and it set seed last year.


 An unknown Crocus flowering in my garden I thought it may be Crocus gilanicus or Crocus cartwrightianus it could be anything as I have had both of those Crocus all three flowers at different angles and at different times.



No comments: